Is your home your sanctuary? Is it a safe space where you can let all of your guards down and just relax? Do you need a Protection Spell Jar?
There are many simple ways for you to protect your home from negative energy. From smudging and crystal grids, to salt in the corners and protective plants in the windows.
If you want to ensure that your sanctuary is the best it can be for your specific needs you can combine herbs, oils, and crystals and make yourself a Protection Jar!
Herbs for Protection
Essential Oils for Protection
Crystals for Protection
Spiritual Goods for Protection
Protection Candle Colors
When it comes to picking the color of your candle, the choices are fully open. Each person will have a different reason for the color of their choice. Simply pick one that feels right to you and remember that white is always an option!
These are the colors suggested in Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Correspondences.
Download our FREE PDF for Protection
Protection Spell Jar
- A clear glass jar with lid or cork
- Black Salt or Coarse Ritual Sea Salt
- A small candle (tea light or chime candle)
- Essential Oil or Anointing Oil of your choice
- Matches or lighter
- Sage and Cedar for cleansing with a fire safe bowl
- 1 – 2 Crystals for Protection
- Herbs – Pick 3 Herbs, plus Bay and Star Anise – Keep it simple
- 1 Bay Leaf to write your intention on.
- 3 Clove Buds
- Rosemary Leaves
- 3 Juniper Berries
- 1 Star Anise Pod
- A length of Silver – wire, chain, or necklace
- Gather all of your items into your chosen space.
- Smudge the area and create sacred space with your intention.
- Smudge your bottle and ingredients.
- Take a moment to ground and center yourself, and then focus on the feeling of protection.
- Bring your Protection Intention to the forefront of your mind and focus that intention into all of your actions.
- Carve sigils and/or anoint your candle and light with intention.
- Write your protection intention on your Bay Leaf.
- Put a layer of salt into the jar.
- Next add your chosen crystal.
- Then, add your Bay Leaf with the intention written on it.
- Add a layer of each of your 3 chosen herbs.
- Finally, add the Star Anise. Use the star shape to connect the intention of the spell jar to your house / property.
- Top everything off with another layer of salt.
- Seal the jar and wrap the silver wire around the jar – you can just wrap it around the lid or get creative.
- Hold your jar in your hands and pour your intention into your jar until the jar is filled to the brim with that protective energy.
- Use the wax from your candle to carefully seal the jar.
- Once your jar spell is complete, place where you feel you most need protection. Feel free to make multi jars if needed.
- You can “refill” your jar with protective energy anytime you feel the need.
- You can also charge it by lighting another candle on top or placing it in the light of the full moon.
Options to consider
- Use Graveyard Dirt or Crossroads Dirt instead of salt.
- Black Salt is great to protect and ward a space. It includes cleansing herbs in it.
- White Salt can be used for protection as well. It will hold any intention.
- Carving a sigil of protection into your candle, or anointing it with protection or sage cleanse oil, adds a little extra energy to your intention and helps you to focus that intent.
- You can also use anointing oil on yourself before creating the jar spell.
- Some practitioners add things like rusty nails, broken glass, and iron to their protection spells.
- Adding a piece of hair or fingernail clippings, as a tag lock, is done to make this spell very personal to you. These tags are something to identify you and your energy to the specific spell.
- Your spell can be as simple or as complex as you wish. I do suggest that keeping things simple is always a great option.
- This is YOUR Spell, so make it YOURS!