It is time to harvest and dry herbs for a Litha Protection Bundle! This flower bundle will fill your house with sunshine throughout the rest of the year.
Litha, the Summer Solstice Sabbat, is a perfect time to gather a small piece of Yarrow and St. John’s Wort to protect your space and remind you of the longest day of sun, when the shortest day of the year is upon you.
St. John’s Wort Herb
The bright, sunny color of St. John’s Wort reminds us that the sun will return and helps guide us through the cold of winter. It typically blooms around June 21st for the Summer Solstice. It is always open and abundant by June 24th – St. John’s Day.
In herbal lore St. John’s Wort is believed to help ward off depression and negative thoughts or to brighten your day.
This wonderful herb fills you with courage and the willpower to make it through any hard times.
Learn more about St. John’s Wort HERE.
Yarrow is commonly used for defense, protection, and warding away negativity.
This delicate, but strong, flower is used to bring healing and love into your life. This is why it is often used in the home to promote a happy marriage.
Many practitioners add yarrow to their divination practices, as well.
Litha Protection Bundles
- Pruning Shears, ritual knife, or scissors
- Gold ribbon or twine
- Offering for the herbs
- Optional: Basket to hold herbs and supplies
- Choose a location where the herbs are abundant, but far enough from the road side to minimize or avoid car exhaust and toxic chemicals.
- Before harvesting take a moment to ground and center yourself, filling your body and mind with the radiant strength of summer.
- Be sure to leave an offering, such as tobacco, in thanks to the nature spirits.
- You want to cut around 6-8 inches – you need enough stem to hang your bundle.
- Once home, gather all of your items into your work space.
- Smudge the area and/or cast your circle.
- As you arrange your herbs into a bundle, or bundles and secure the herbs with your ribbon or twine – remember the glory of the sun as you were harvesting and imbue your bundles with that brilliant energy. Your intention should also include the protection energies of these herbs to protect your home and family for the next year.
- Once you feel confident that both you and your bundles are over flowing with the strength of summer, close your circle.
- Hang your bundles upside down in a window, or any sunny spot you prefer.
- We recommend replacing these every summer solstice
✨ You can also hang or place a bundle in your car!
Can’t find these two herbs?
Check out our YouTube video on Summer Solstice Herbs and Oils!