In honor of the new moon we are headed to the kitchen to cook up some crescent moon cookies for the Wiccan Cakes and Ale Ceremony!
Cakes and Ale
Cakes and ale is more of a ritual name or term. You can use anything you want for the ceremony. For the “ale” you could use hot tea, hot cocoa, juice – whatever appeals to you. This holds true for the “cake” as well.
Want to stay away from sugar treats? Try using strawberries and champagne.
While this ritual is more commonly practiced by modern wiccans, there is no reason that pagans of every flavor can’t partake in a tasty treat to celebrate the moon. Just celebrate being you!
For this new moon we decided to make some magic using an old family favorite, Crescent Moon Cookies.
Crescent Moon Cookies
⭐️The recipe is simple and can easily be made vegan.
Makes ~ 32 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted Butter – Softened
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 cup Flour
- 1 cup Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Sifted Confectioners Sugar
- Gather your materials.
- Take time to focus your mind on your intention – Ex: protection, hope, fertility, inner fire – and make sure to keep your intention in your mind as mix and stir!
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix all ingredients
- Chill for 4 hours
- Cut out in crescent shape
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- While hot, roll in the sifted confectioners sugar
Note: Cooking times may vary.
Looking for a more traditional recipe for Cakes and Ale to celebrate any moon or sabbat ceremony for the wheel of the year?
Try creating this traditional Sabbat cake instead.
Simple Sabbat Cakes
- 3/4 C. soft butter
- 2 C. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 2 C. flour
- 1 C. finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add the brown sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, and rind. Mix until well-blended.
- Stir in flour and walnuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When chilled, shape dough into crescent moons, or any appropriate shape for your ritual, and place 3″ apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 8 -10 minutes.
- If you like, sprinkle them with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar as they cool.
More about the New Moon!
Looking for more information about celebrating the New Moon?
Check out our Article: New Moon Herbs and Oils Apothecary
We have New Moon Incense , New Moon Bath Salts, and New Moon Oil in the shop too!
Watch our YouTube video about the Dark Moon vs. the New Moon.